Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Been 'spimmed' yet?


Yes folks, just when you thought spam in your email was bad enough, now there's spim: spam that comes via instant message clients.

The Pew Internet and American Life Project reports this interesting fact and others in their recently released report on IMing practices in the US, prosaically titled, How Americans Use Instant Messaging. In addition to finding a growing amount of spim, the study found that around 53 million American adults use IM, with about 11 million of them using IM at work. the study suggests that IM is fast becoming an "expressive medium" and not just a communciation medium "through use of customized away messages, profiles and buddy icons".

Comments:
I have this rule about my mobile. Nobody is allowed to beep me with their sms messages before noon.

Imagine my annoyance when I was WOKEN UP at some ungodly hour of the morning by a SPIM from Hoyts movies, telling me I could get a special price on movies on Tuesday nights. *grumbles*
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?